Saturday, March 8, 2014

You should have been an artist.

  From the time I was able to actually comprehend what the question "What are you going to be when you grow up"? meant, I always had the same answer.  I'm going to be an artist.   Since none of you have ever seen my paintings in a gallery, you may say that I didn't quite live up to that goal.   I consider myself a reasonably good painter.  Others have told me I'm talented.  To those who can barely draw a stick figure, I'm really really good. 
  I was offered a scholarship to an art school  in Ft. Lauderdale.  I graduated early from high school and was not quite 18 years old.  Going that far away from home where I knew nobody was just too scary.  I have always been totally dog crazy so I became a groomer instead.  Taking a dirty, matted, mess of a mutt and making it look beautiful.   It was kind of like art with teeth.  I came home every day smelly and covered with hair and I loved it.  I was able to support myself and never had trouble finding a job.  After 30 years my hands said "please, give us a break".  It was either surgery for carpel tunnel or stop grooming full time. I chose the latter.  I still groom a few dogs when I can.  My own dogs rarely get a haircut.  The old shoemakers kids thing does apply in my case. 
    I've continued to enjoy Art.  Pet portraits are my favorite  and I enjoy knowing that my paintings are hanging on somebody's wall.  Seeing an owner tear up as they remark how much it looks like their dear departed Riley is fulfilling. I also like giving my artwork away to family and friends.
  As rec director I get to help children enjoy arts and crafts.  Last season we made dream catchers from yarn and flying saucers from pie pans.  While in New Hampshire it was birch bark reindeer.  I made a dozen of those as gifts last Christmas.   Owls from pinecones, rafts from twigs, anything nature related was a hit.             
    My most recent canvas is the bathroom walls here at the campground.  My mother wrote a little ditty that  says it all.  "Bears in the bathroom, raccoons on a tree, wild geese a courting where men go to pee". Ok, so It's not the Sistine Chapel but it was a fun job      
   My next project is a large outdoor panel for the
 campground guests to take photos.  I'll have several generic people where they can put their faces with animals in the background stealing their food.  I'm just waiting for the snow to leave to get started.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment