Friday, March 7, 2014

Small Space Organization

  Anyone who knows me well know that my home is always a mess.  There are dishes in the sink.  Whatever project I am working on is sprawled across my desk, my bed, and in some cases the floor.  I do crafts, I paint, I sew, and I'm constantly remodeling or repairing something.  You do not need to worry if you come visit.  You will not get some terrible disease if you eat here. My home is not dirty, it's just cluttered with stuff. 
  If you open up a drawer or a cabinet you will see that clothes are neatly folded.  Winter clothes over one bunk, summer over the other.  Everything is where it is supposed to be.  If I'm looking for my sewing fabric, I know exactly where to look.  My jacket is hung on a hook right as I enter. I have a stick on wall pocket for gloves and a hat.  My shoes have a shelf in the bathroom along with a fabric box full of socks.  My paints and craft supplies are in a tote that doubles as a stool and step ladder.  That is if I took the time to actually return them after they were used.
  I love shoe boxes.  The plastic kind with the snap on top are perfect for all sorts of items.  In the cabinet above my living area, every shelf has several of these boxes.  Each is labeled so I know the contents without actually having to open the box.   Batteries and chargers.  Tapes and adhesives.  Dog clothing.  Yes I know everybody does not need a box for dog clothing but I own two tiny dogs and they sometimes need an extra layer.  I also have a box simply labeled junk drawer. 
   I removed the dining booth in my rv.  I find them very uncomfortable and they take up an enormous amount of space.  I bought an inexpensive door and built storage cabinets on either end to support it.  I tucked an office chair in the center and I can use my computer, sew, do crafts and eat in comfort.  I look out the big picture window while I'm sitting and watch birds and deer.  The biggest benefit is that I now have a full four feet of empty space between my desk and kitchen counter.  Everybody remarks at how the place looks so much larger. 
   One day soon I'll take that long dreamed of cross country van trip. I know I'll have to pare down even further.  It's simply a matter of determining what we actually use on a daily basis.  I don't know about you but I figure I wear less than half of the clothes I own.  I wont need dishes to serve four or a 12 piece set of pots and pans.  I will probably take my sewing machine or at least some of my craft supplies.  These are things that I enjoy, for you it might be fishing or sports equipment.  I need room to move around, my dogs need room to move around.  Decisions decisions,

2 comments:

  1. I'm paring down my life also to hit the road. At 60, sometimes I feel panicked by all I have to get rid of. I'll admit it, I dress my dogs because I like to. lol
    www.http://littlesanitee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started workamping, it was unbelievable how much stuff I actually had to leave behind.. I sold the furniture, that was easy. I parted with a ton of kitchen stuff and clothing. I originally took more than I needed then realized that space to move around was more important than the electric fry pan and the pretty red high heels. Mementos were the hard part. I allowed one box for favorite photos. I did keep many of my Poodle statues and display them when parked for more than a week or so. I also have a few large framed posters that are still stored in a friends attic. It's amazing how little you will actually use while on the road. If you can't live without it, find room or leave it with a someone you can trust.

      Delete