Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The weight on my shoulders, and hips, and stomach...

  I have always fought my weight.  I like to eat, I have to eat to stay alive.  No, I don't have to eat a bag of Oreos but at the time I really enjoy them.  It costs more to eat well, that is just a fact.  Every time I start a diet, the first thing I have to do is go to the grocery store.  That is after making sure that there is not a fattening thing left in my home.  Finish ice cream, check.  Leftover chips and onion dip, might as well eat those too.
  With great intentions I begin my jaunt around the store.  I like vegetables, wow asparagus is really expensive this time of year.  Frozen vegetables are cheaper, I think I already have a few bags in my freezer already.  Low fat cheese, the no fat stuff is horrid.  I grab eggs and 1% milk.  I don't like yogurt, well actually yogurt doesn't particularly like me so that's a no.  A few frozen Lean Cuisine dinners.  Chicken, fish, ok meat is taken care of.  That's a really good deal on Entenmanns, walk quickly past the cheese danish.   I've got to have something to go with the meat.  Stuffing, no.  mashed potatoes, no.  Oh well I've got the frozen veggies.
  I have to have something sweet or there is no way I'll stick to my diet.  Back to the freezer section for Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.  Throw some Special K cracker chips in for when I feel like something crunchy.  A few things from the pet food isle.  Shopping is done.  "That will be $85.32" the cashier says.  What!  I've only got three bags and half my paycheck is gone.
  I measure out my cereal and write down every morsel that touches my lips.  I scour the internet for low calorie recipes and deal with the dirty pots and pans.   I drink a lot more water and have to get up three times during the night to use the bathroom.  I pull out my favorite too tight jeans and hang them in view as a reminder.
  I know how to lose weight, I've done it a thousand times.  I can stick to a diet for a while and I'm happy when I see the numbers go down on the scale.  I can even ignore the doughnuts sitting on the counter at work.    Why can some people eat anything they want to and never gain a pound?  It's just not fair.  I've read that  it's actually better to have a few extra pounds on you as you get older.  You have a reserve in case you get sick.  Curves are in right now.  I can't afford new clothes.
   It always seems that the neighbor starts baking when I'm on a diet.  Did those cookies smell that good when I was able to help myself to a few?  I work hard, I deserve that cookie.  I'll go back on my diet tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment