Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Home Sweet Home

  How on earth do you live in such a small space?  It's not fair to your dogs to keep them cramped up in that tiny trailer.  Why would you choose to live this way?
  Think about the things you do on a normal day.  You wake up on your side of the bed, make a trip to the bathroom and head into the kitchen for your first cup of coffee.  You fix yourself a bowl of cereal and flip on the tv for the morning news.   You might look out your window to in fact confirm that it is raining.  You choose the clothes you're going to wear based on the weather, get dressed and head out the door to work.
  I do exactly the same things.  I have everything I need to live a comfortable life in my 28 foot travel trailer.  The trip from bed to bathroom is about three feet, in an emergency that could be a good thing.  I can sit in my office chair, check my e-mail and if I'm really lazy, turn around and reach the coffee pot without getting up.  I bought a really nice recliner for the living room so I'd have a comfortable place to watch tv.  The dogs love it, I've never used the damned thing. 
  Speaking of the dogs, think of your own dogs.  Do they actually use the space in your 2000 square foot home.  If you are in the kitchen, they are at your feet waiting for a scrap to fall. Watching tv?  Your faithful friend is right by your side.  I'd hope that they at least get to sleep in your bedroom if not with you.  My pups like yours are where they want to be.  With me. 
   Because of my lifestyle, I get to spend many more hours with my dogs than most of the population.  Right now they have acres of land to run and play.  In the summer they might have to spend more time on leash but they have lots of social contact with the guests and their dogs.  As activities director I can include them in some of our events.  The patriotic pots and pans parade was a hit with dogs dressed up in red, white, and blue.  Gable rode beside me on the golf cart like a king.
   Living and working on the same property has many benefits.  I can always run home and change when my shirt gets covered with the chocolate pudding we used for "slip and slide".  I can eat lunch at home.  I never have to worry that my pups are crossing their legs holding it when I'm stuck in traffic.   The cost of commuting is nonexistent.  Factor in all that you spend on a normal day and you might understand how I can get by on $8.00 an hour.  Consider my rent of $37 a week and no costs for utilities, cable or wifi and I might just convince you. 
  Winter is a different story as the hours are few and the cost of propane is high.   Most workampers travel south as soon as the leaves change.  I could have done that and may in the future.  Not everybody is cut out to survive winter in an rv.  It's a struggle but spring will be here soon

No comments:

Post a Comment