Thursday, March 6, 2014

what not to wear

  I have never been a fashion forward woman.  I dress for comfort, weather, and to hide those parts of myself that I don't think the world would care to view.  In an rv, space is at a premium so I've had to pare down my wardrobe to fit. .  Sweatpants and long sleeved t-shirts are a staple.  A couple of pairs of jeans.  I have a dress or two for special occasions, and a few things I would not be embarrassed to wear for an evening out.  I've also kept at least a dozen items that I hope to be able to fit into again someday.  A girl can dream.
  I enjoy people watching and am amazed at the things some people think are appropriate.  I'm overweight myself so I understand how hard it is to find clothes to flatter your figure.  Bright pink spandex does not flatter a larger body type.  You may think you look sexy but I'm wondering how long it took you to squeeze into that getup.  A good bra is an investment but you're going to regret not owning one in a few years.  Belly shirts are cute but there is an age where they are a tad inappropriate.  I do not desire to see your rear end every time you reach down to pick up an item.  This goes for men too.  They made an invention called a belt many years ago.  Invest in one if your pants are too loose.  Your girlfriend may enjoy looking at your boxer shorts, I do not.
   Long pants should be long enough to cover at least the top of your shoes.  Your ankles and those bright green socks should not be visible unless you are sitting with your legs crossed. If you are barefoot and wading at the beach this rule obviously does not apply. 
  Certain colors do not particularly go together.  I took a friend to a doctors appointment yesterday.  An employee got up to leave and I almost laughed out loud.  Purple floral blouse, plaid pants, red shoes, are you kidding me?  I gave leeway to the older gentleman with his pants pulled up to his underarms but not to the younger one with intentional holes in places better not mentioned.
   I feel obligated to read things written on t-shirts, rear ends, and down pant legs.  Please at least make them appropriate for public viewing.  "Your father should have pulled out sooner" might make some laugh but is darned near impossible to explain to a six year old. "I love cats, they taste just like chicken", not funny.   I do not like to be caught staring but the angle you are sitting at makes it almost impossible to see what your shirt says.  You wore it for that reason, right?
  Look in the mirror before you leave your home.  I would never criticize someone for not owning beautiful clothes. I've gone out looking like a sloppy mess more than a few times. I do try to avoid shopping in my pajamas but admit that I have done it.  I'm talking about the extremes.  Those who obviously enjoy having everyone look at them.   Be considerate, it's hard to walk with our eyes closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment