Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cheap Eats

   I spend less on groceries than most.   I don't have much space to store food.  A tiny pantry and a three foot tall refrigerator does not hold a lot.  I might be able to save more if I used coupons but I don't need three packages of Super Saucy flavored rice.  I love to cook and have several go to meals that I can put together at a moments notice.  No, I will never have my own show on Food Network.  Simple combos that cost almost nothing, that's my specialty.
   If I were stuck on a desert island and could only take one item it would be peanut butter.  It's the one thing I always have on hand.  My go to breakfast is rye toast with peanut butter.  Add Jelly and you've got an easy lunch.  Make a sauce with it and put in on your chicken.  I see a sale on Skippy extra chunky for $1.99 and I'm a very happy camper.
   The incredible edible egg.  Twelve meals for $1.39  I like mine fried hard with none of the runny yellow yolk but you can have your egg any way you like it.  Drop a slice of bread in it for French toast.  If you don't have syrup, no problem.  Just sprinkle a bit of sugar on it and you're good.  Throw a few veggies or a little cheese in and scramble.  Leftover ham, now you're talking. 
   Tuna is a cheap meal in a can.  Grab a few of those condiment packages of mayo when you go out for fast food.  Get a packet of relish while your at it and mix well. Put it on bread or just eat as is.
Add tuna to mac and cheese for a more substantial meal.  Boil up some pasta, add tuna and mayo.  Throw in a small can of peas and chill.  Season with lemon pepper and lunch is served.  Add an egg and a handful of seasoned breadcrumbs to a can of tuna, make into a patty and fry it up.  If you like crab cakes, you will like this just as much.
  Spaghetti is always easy though I actually prefer the curly rotini.  Pasta is cheap and goes a long way.  The canned sauce from Hunts actually tastes better than the jarred stuff and I see it on sale for $1.00 all the time.  Once again, add cut up veggies, hamburger or sausage if you have them and you can at least imagine that you're sitting at Mama's table. 
  I enjoy chicken thighs or Tilapia seasoned with lemon pepper and baked in my toaster oven.  The yellow rice from Vigo comes in a small package and is great with the chicken.  Add a can of black beans on top and you've got a Mexican specialty.  Put your fish on a crusty roll and add a bit of tarter sauce. Quick, easy, and delicious.  Need a dish for the pot luck?  Chili pie is my favorite.  Make two cups of rice and add 3/4 of a bag of shredded chedder.  Push the mixture into a pie pan or casserole dish and you have your crust.  Make chili anyway you prefer and pour it over the rice mixture.  Add the rest of the cheese on top and toast until it melts.  I've never come home with leftovers and it costs next to nothing.
  When I'm on the road I do eat fast food occasionally.  Subway is a favorite of mine and they are everywhere.   A slice of pizza is probably the least expensive thing if you're in town.  Most of the chains have dollar menus now, if you steer away from the expensive drinks you can eat for next to nothing.  I make my own decaffeinated iced tea and carry that along.  If you like sodas, buy a case on sale instead of paying $2.50 for a single bottle.
   I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a local specialty once in a while.  That's half the fun of traveling.  If you watch your pennies by eating cheap most days, you'll be able to splurge.  All this food talk is making me hungry.  Let me see what I'm having for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment