Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring has sprung

  I've been scarce on the blog front lately.  The snow is finally gone and the to do list at the campground is remarkably long.  I'm one of those rare birds who prefers snow to it's warmer wetter cousin.  I don't keep track of how many inches we've gotten but it's way too much for me.  Stain the decks, paint the cement mascot, paint the playground equipment.  I'd love to get it all done if it would just stop raining!  I did finish the photo sign, it resides under my awning waiting to be installed.



The photo sign I painted

    I roll over and look out the window in the morning.  The sun is out, yippee.  I pull on my parka to walk the dogs.  Switch to a hoodie by ten, that's off by noon.  Switch my pants for shorts around two,  back into pants by four.  Add hoodie by six and into the parka again for the last walk at night.  Make up your mind Mother nature, this is ridiculous.
  We've got quite a variety of workampers this year.  Local rednecks, those returning from last year, and a few newbies.  "Empty the waste tanks, that was not on the job description".  I'm sure the retired NYC police officer has never driven a tractor pulling a hay wagon full of screaming kids, welcome to KOA.  Aged 16 to mid 60s they are busy removing dead leaves leftover from the fall.   Rake into huge piles, shovel into bucket of tractor, empty into dump truck.  Big boy toys.  The burn pile was lovely until they added the plastic covered mattresses and insulation from other projects on their lists.   Four new cabins, remodeled store, tons of spring cleaning.  It's only a few weeks until the official Memorial Day start of the season.
  Not that we haven't been busy already.  Last weekend we made birdfeeders and the kids decorated their own cupcakes for our mascot's birthday. There was a huge family reunion here yesterday.  I helped the kids make maracas out of cardboard toilet paper rolls.  We built barriers out of foam insulation and had a water balloon fight.  Hours on the field with sack races and tug of war.  I staggered home and saw my neighbor sitting at her picnic table.  "I just need to talk to an adult" I told her.   It's only just begun.
 
 
Cupcakes the kids decorated themselves

"Chippy" and company

No comments:

Post a Comment